Okay, everyone has probably heard. J.K. Rowling's latest book in the Harry Potter series will be available July 21, 2007. Great news for Harry Potter fans, and even greater news for J.K. Rowling, but what about those authors out there who have books written in the same genre and are about to come out the same time? Do they even stand a chance?Sandy Lender is one of those authors who will have a new book released called Choices Meant for Gods (Archebooks, TBA) about the same time, and she is concerned, as well as considering moving her release date either ahead of time or after the new Harry Potter book goes up for sale.
Should she or shouldn't she?
This is where effective online book promotion is going to come in handy. My suggestion to her would be to keep the release date, but use Harry Potter to her advantage.
In order for her to do this, what I suggested would be to run press releases captilizing on the Harry Potter phenomenon and ride on the coattails of J.K. Rowlings' success. There will be millions of people putting the words "Harry Potter" in the search engines. If Sandy learns how to pump up her press releases by coming up with a press release comparing her book to J.K.'s, then we have something here. What will happen is that Sandy will be able to zero in on this market, and you have to admit, this is one of the largest markets out there.
While this is not a new thing (riding on the coattails of other books with a huge audience), you'd be amazed at how many people haven't realized they could do this.
I went into PRWeb (www.prweb.com), one of the press release services, and put "Harry Potter" in their search engine. I wasn't surprised to see people are already doing this.
This is only one way that you can pump up your online book promotion; but keep in mind, press releases are powerful. If Sandy writes up a press release, capitalizing on the Harry Potter book that will coincide with the release of her own book, she will not only get those Harry Potter buyers, but will also find a great new way to promote her books which she can use for other books later on.
What she has to keep in mind is that the Harry Potter series has a huge market. J.K. Rowling's books will continue to sell for years and years, but being as this is supposedly her last book, who will be the next Harry Potter phenomenon?
It could be Sandy...or, it could even be you!
Tags: Harry Potter,J.K. Rowlings, online book promotion, Sandy Lender, press releases
Tags: Harry Potter,J.K. Rowlings, online book promotion, Sandy Lender, press releases
3 comments:
Wouldn't you just love to have a book coming out when Harry does? I would love to ride in on JK's coat tails!! Couldn't be in better company.
Hey, Sandy could always make up a bunch of bookmarks and stick them discreetly inside all the Harry Potter new releases, so when they buy HP, they'll have an idea about the next book they want to buy, like Choices meant for Gods!
Geez, I adore that title!!!!Don't you?
LOL, I love this! Hmm...thinking here...ghostie book is coming out in print soon...hmmmm...how to tie that in with Harry Potter...think think!
I have to be cautious due to the elements in my book that might mirror things in the Harry Potter books. I've not read any of Rowlings's work, so I don't have too many rumors to fear, but I understand that Harry and his friends attend a school where they learn how to use magic. Well, guess what? The Taiman estate in Choices Meant for Gods has a school in the mountain it's carved out of where children learn proper use of the geasa. Are people going to see that association and assume I "borrowed" more than a few words for a press release title? I have notebooks and files that show I started this trilogy back in 1985, but that doesn't mean the media won't crucify me.
But I love the press release ideas (hey, I've been writing them in my "day job" for years) and you can bet I'll be employing those post haste. Also, I love Linda's bookmark idea. My current stash o' bookmarks is running low so it's time to reprint anyway. Might as well work on that template...
Thanks for the ideas, and stop by The Dragon to see today's press release. ;) www.todaythedragonwins.blogspot.com
Sandy L.
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."
Post a Comment