Monday, March 26, 2007

Beauty is in the Eye of the Artist

I am just so excited about my last book trailer I made for Barbara Willliamson-Wood's suspense novel, Inner Trappings, that I just have to share it with you.

It's funny how we as artists interpret other artists' works. What I see may not be what you see. But, isn't that the beauty of it all?

Sometimes.

If you get a book jacket cover and it's not quite what you expected or what you envisioned, doesn't it feel like your life as you know it has come to an end? You contact the publisher and beg her/him to pleeeeze change this, change that, until finally, both of you can agree on the final result.

The thing about this particular trailer is that, after reading Barbara's promo, the reviews, the blurbs, etc...this is what I use to get a mental picture of her book. When I am commissioned to do a book trailer, I want to know the inside and outside of the book. I want to get a feel of what the author is trying to say. I jot down a few notes as I research the book's main pivotal points, but it's not until I actually have the trailer sitting in front of me do I know where it's going to go.

It's interesting really because it's just like writing a book. You may or may not start out with an outline, but if you do, you use this outline so that you don't forget the main points of the book. Then, you start. The creation process does not take place in the outline. It takes place in the actual hands-on production end of it. It will not take shape until you're sitting there and letting everything hang loose.

Same things go for painters. If you are a painter, have you ever stared at a blank canvas and had an idea of where to go, but yet, you didn't know where to start? You've jotted a few ideas in your head, maybe even written a few ideas down, or practiced on some blank sheet of paper, but do you really know how the painting is going to end before you start?

The same thing for these trailers. I must paint a picture of what this book is about. It began as an idea and then flourished from there. If you'd like to see a creative side of your promo queen here, check it out...



Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: