Monday, March 12, 2007

How to PUMP UP Your Blog to Sell More Books - Pt.III - Starting from Ground Zero - Teach Me Technorati - Q&A

Hi everyone,

Are we all pumping up that book promotion? I hope so!

Meanwhile, Rachel has a question. She writes,
"This is the most frustrating thing I've dealt with ever since I set up my blog.
I'm new to blogging and services like Technorati--I signed up for that, but
don't know if I did everything correctly. I still haven't quite figured out how
to add tags to my blog. There's a place in blogger to type *labels* for each
post, but that's something different altogether.I could really use your
help--the whole process is really confusing. And I had difficulty understanding
the instructions you gave in another entry. "

It can be quite frustrating to someone new to blogging. Don't let it overwhelm you, Rachel. Take baby steps so that you won't get frustrated. Accomplish one thing and move to the next thing. Seriously, the most frustrating time I've had since blogging is when Blogger changed the format. I would hear horror stories of what would happen to your blog if you went with their new version. I pussyfooted around, sticking with the older version, until...I was forced into it. I wanted a new blog and had no idea newbies were given the new version. I was fine, got my blog set up, and when I went into my other blogs, I found that they were automatically converted to the new version. I. Freaked. Out.

But, as it turned out, I was okay.

I think fear is our worse enemy and don't quote me because I didn't make that up. But, I could have made it up because despite what you think, I'm a real weenie when it comes to learning new things. If you think Technorati scares the bejeebies out of you, wait until we get into feeds. There will be lots of horrifying fun moments when we do that.

But, like I said, baby steps, and that's how I want anyone to land on this blog take what I've been telling you. Accomplish one thing at a time and, if you have questions, please ask because if I know the answer, I'll certainly throw it your way.

Okay, on to business...I think the easiest route would be to run through the most important steps:

1. Sign up at www.technorati.com.

2. Claim your blog.

3. Put one of your key search words in their search box at the top of the site.

4. Once the next page loads, look down in the right hand side and you'll see a bit of html code (actually, I think that's where you're having problems).

5. If you have blogger, go into one of your postings that the search word is relevant to and click "edit html" (if you have trouble finding this, let me know).

6. Put the code at the bottom of your post.

7. Click back to compose.

8. You're done.

BTW, the "edit html" is above the eraser-looking thing above your post.

If you still have problems, let me know, but it's a very important thing to know if you want your search words to show up in Technorati's search engine.

Hope that helps!

Tags: , ,




5 comments:

Nell Dixon said...

I am so confused. What does technorati do again, exactly? Is it like google? Do people go there and look for stuff, is that why it's good to sign up? Do you have to do this proceedure everytime you make a blog post? I'm sorry, I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm keen to get my head around it.

Gloria Oliver said...

Followed instructions and while Technorati would find the search word, I did not find any code anywhere on the page.... :(

Gloria Oliver
Unveiling the Fantastic
www.gloriaoliver.com

Gloria Oliver said...

I went hunting and found this - the actual html format to use...

{a href="http://technorati.com/tag/[tagname]" rel="tag"}[tagname]{/a}
{a href="http://technorati.com/tag/[tagname]+[tagname]" rel="tag"}[tagname tagname]{/a}
{a href="http://technorati.com/tag/global+warming" rel="tag"}global warming{/a}
Where { } are < >. The [tagname] can be anything, but it should be descriptive. Please only use tags that are relevant to the post. You do not need to include the brackets, just the descriptive keyword for your post. Just make sure to include rel="tag" which indicates our spiders that this is a Tag.

thewriterslife said...

Good for you, Gloria! That is it in a nutshell. I think the easiest thing would be for people to take a pen and paper and write down the code using their tag words and without the brackets...then go into their blog and add them by copying off the paper.

renate@gmail.com said...

I followed all the instruction, claimed my blog put the green code at the end of the htmls. Generated codes for tags that so on my posts, but technorati shows that there are no connection
what shell I do?
Renate