Monday, August 20, 2007

Interview with Kim Baccellia, Author of EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA

We have a special guest today at Pump Up Your Online Book Promotion! Kim Baccellia, author of the young adult fantasy novel, EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA is here with us today to tell us how she pumps up her online book promotion!

Ms. Baccellia's writing credits include numerous poems published in a variety of magazines, ranging from Beginnings magazine and Latino Stuff Review to Coil magazine. Her poem, My Father , appears in the Mind Mutations Anthology published by The Sun Rising Poetry Press. Her essay on the adoption of her son, Finally, Our Turn , appeared in both Adoptive Families magazine and the Adoptive Families 2003-2004 Adoption Guide . She is also a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators ( SCBWI).

EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA is a finalist in the 2006 Dream Realm Awards and was a finalist in the Smartwriters 2006 WIN contest.

You can visit her website at http://www.kim-baccellia.com/ and her blog at kbaccellia.livejournal.com.

You can purchase Earrings of Ixtumea here!

Welcome to Pump Up Your Book Promotion, Kim! Can you tell us a little about yourself and your book, EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA?

I’m the YA author of the multicultural fantasy EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA. EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA is a fast-paced fantasy featuring a young Latina who discovers ancient traditions in her family history that propel her to a magical civilization, where she struggles against evil forces that threaten her family, her heart, and her life.

EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA is a YA multicultural fantasy. Why did you choose this genre? Did you choose it or did it choose you?

It chose me. I wanted to do a fantasy that wasn’t the usual British-orphan-boy-who-saves-the-world. At the time I was also researching my own Mexican roots. I found my ancestors had a rich culture. I thought it would be a great idea to write my own fantasy world based on a combination of the Mayan and Incan civilizations.

In regards to promotion, what have you been doing to promote your book online?

I’ve done a lot! I’ve advertised in a number of teen sites such as Teens Read Too and YA Books Central. I ran a number of contests. I also entered contests. Earrings is a Dream Realms 2006 award finalist.

I’ve also tried to keep my name out there to get buzz out on my story.

Of all the promotional items you have used to promote the book, which one stands out the most?

Right now? Being persistent with keeping Earrings out there. I started back in last October when Earrings first came out as an e-serial. One thing I learned is an author can’t sit back and expect readers to come to him. You have to go to them. And the Internet is a great tool for getting the buzz out about your book.

Do you feel that the Internet has opened doors for authors who never dreamed they’d ever see a publishing contract and how has it influenced you in regards to your own publishing journey?

YES. If anything this experience has taught me not to give up if traditional publishers pass on your manuscript. But that doesn’t mean I’ve been lazy with my writing. No, if anything I’ve worked hard to show that just because I’ve been epublished this doesn’t mean I have a less than stellar story.

If you were in the middle of Manhattan (or any busy thoroughfare) and you wanted to call attention to your book, what would you do?

Ohmigosh, this is a funny question. I’d get up on a stand and shout out to everyone to check out my book. Of course I’d be dressed in a costume from Ixtumea. But on second hand it would be great if I could hire one of those cute guy models to be Teancum for the day. Now that would get some interest!

If you could trade places with any author just for a day, who would it be?

Meg Cabot. I love her humor and energy. I’d also love to be Diana Galbadon. Or even Orson Scott Card. Hey, this question isn’t fair! I have so many favorite authors.

Lastly, how do you determine your book’s success?
If I can get one reader who enjoys her time spent in Ixtumea. Right now I’m so excited Earrings is in print! I found that my audience—teens and young adults love the feel of a new book in their hands. Now that would be awesome to see that look of pleasure on one of my reader’s faces when they read my book. Now that would be a success!

Thank you for coming, Kim! Can you tell us where everyone can pick up a copy of Earrings of Ixtumea?

Thanks for having me drop by! You can purchase Earrings of Ixtumea through Amazon. Ebooks are available through Fictionwise, Virtual Tales, and Mobipocket.

Kim's interview is brought to you by Pump Up Your Book Promotion, a full service virtual book touring agency. You can visit their website at www.pumpupyourbookpromotion.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your Virtual Book Tour Kim! What a great way to promote Earrings!