Monday, September 10, 2007

An Interview with Art Appraiser & Author Scott Zema

We have a very special guest today at Pump Up Your Online Book Promotion! Welcome Scott Zema, author of the book, THREE STEPS TO INVESTMENT SUCCESS: BUYING THE RIGHT ART, ANIQUES, AND COLLECTIBLES. Scott is here with us today to tell us how he pumps up his own online book promotion!

Welcome to Pump Up Your Online Book Promotion, Scott! Can we begin by having you tell us what your book, THREE STEPS TO INVESTMENT SUCCESS is about and what compelled you to write it?

It's about successfully investing in art, antiques, and collectibles. I can't find another book like it in print.

I felt compelled to write it because as a professional appraiser and evaluator of valuable properties I began to see things that other people in my business were apparently not seeing. Like its actually possible to successfully invest in valuable properties that other 'experts' say is impossible to do. Kind of like Galileo looking through his telescope and seeing things other people sternly told him weren't there. Like Columbus seeing the earth was round when the powers that be told him he had to be wrong...

Your book is self-published. Would you mind sharing how you self-published your book?

I had a website design team design my book and put it into adobe format. Then I featured my book for sale on my own website, downloadable (with a security key to prevent unauthorized internet distribution) and payable with a credit card.

Do you feel it's harder for a self-published author to promote his book as opposed to a mainstream publisher?

I am not yet familiar with the results that would answer that question. It certainly seems cheaper and easier, and perhaps more lucrative if done correctly...

I have been published by small press publishers, but I also have self-published.

Do you find there's a stigma with self-published books?

Don't know...

Have you tried to get any of your books into bookstores or libraries?

Not yet.

What have people's reactions been when they find out your are self-published?
Do you sense any negativity or are they in awe you have managed to pull a book together yourself and successfully got it out into the world?

You know, I get both reactions. The negativity stems from people who are somehow against the basic premise of my book.

In regards to promotion, what have you been doing to promote your book online?

Using your service... I tried to buy adwords through the website designers which they were promoting, but they were basically disinterested in focused marketing of my product.

Of all the promotional items (bookmarks, press kits, etc…) you have used to promote your book, which one was used most effectively?

Still waiting to see!

Do you feel that the Internet has opened doors for authors who never dreamed they’d ever see a publishing contract and how has it influenced you in regards to your own publishing journey?

I feel that it has to open doors for authors, and that correctly done, it must prove some kind of threat eventually to traditional publishers. Anybody can publish now.

If you were in the middle of Manhattan (or any busy thoroughfare) and you wanted to call attention to your book, what would you do and what would you say?

Go onto wall street with a sandwich board with a large photo of the cover and collar
investment people. Perhaps give them free copies.

If you could trade places with any author just for a day, who would it be and why?

JK Rowling, to experience the expansive affirmation of her vision by the reading public.

Lastly, how do you determine your book’s success?

By the compliments of its readers who have found it a useful addition to their knowledge of the world!

Thank you for coming, Scott! Can you tell us where everyone can pick up a copy of THREE STEPS TO INVESTMENT SUCCESS?

You can download your own copy at http://www.arklimitedpublishing.com/.

Thank you for coming, Scott! If you would like a chance to win a copy of THREE STEPS TO INVESTMENT SUCCESS: BUYING THE RIGHT ART, ANIQUES, AND COLLECTIBLES, leave a comment below. All winners will be announced at http://www.virtualbooktoursforauthors.blogspot.com/ on Sept. 30. Good luck!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing!!!! /I look forward to your feedback /thanks for this man it was very helpful.

Appraiser