Sunday, December 9, 2007

Interview with Pschological Murder Mystery Novelist Roberta Isleib


Our special guest today is Roberta Isleib, author of the psychological murder mystery novel, PREACHING TO THE CORPSE (Berkley Prime, Dec. '07). Roberta is going to tell us how she pumps up her online book promotion!

Welcome to Pump Up Your Online Book Promotion, Roberta. Would you like to tell us what your book, PREACHING TO THE CORPSE, is about and why you wrote it?

PREACHING TO THE CORPSE is the second book in my new series featuring advice columnist/psychologist Dr. Rebecca Butterman. Dr. Butterman gets a call in the middle of the night from the minister at her church, who’s in custody after going to a fellow parishioner’s home and finding her dead. The murdered matron was the leader of a search committee charged with finding a new assistant pastor after the previous assistant left in a rush. Rebecca learns that the committee was divided—has someone tried to eliminate the competition?

She puts her analytical skills to work to search for the killer, all the while resisting the urge to break the seventh commandment with a very married detective, and praying she’s not the next victim.

PREACHING TO THE CORPSE is a crime fiction. Why did you choose this genre to write? Did you choose it or did it choose you?

I’ve always read and loved mysteries, starting with the Bobbsey twins, Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames, the nurse detective. I prefer to read a series where I can return to visit with the same characters many times. So this genre seemed a natural choice when I was thinking about trying to write a novel.

It also happens that crime fiction fits well with my other profession, psychotherapy (I’m a clinical psychologist by training). Both the detective and the therapist start with a problem and follow clues until they unravel its solution.

In regards to promotion, what have you been doing to promote your book online?

The biggest arrow in my quiver would have to be my website, http://www.robertaisleib.com/. I’ve had a lot of fun designing the site and adding material over the last few years (my first book, SIX STROKES UNDER was published in 2002). Besides information about my books and me, I’ve included articles and links about writing and getting published and many links on psychology and advice. I also have a virtual press kit with downloadable author photos, book covers, and press releases. I participate in a number of mystery-related listserv groups that I use to spread the word when I have a new book out. I search out as many potential review sites as possible and offer them a copy of each book. And I’ve started the requisite blog. ;o)

(Roberta is referring to the suggestion that she start a blog to help promote her book. Good for you, Roberta!)

Of all the promotional items (bookmarks, press kits, etc.) you have used to promote your book, which one was used most effectively?

In the beginning, I focused a lot on promotional items. I had some adorable golf tees with SIX STROKES UNDER and my website address printed on them. For the second golf mystery, I printed thousands of little golf pencils. I also had bookmarks and postcards made and my family generously spent hours stuffing little bags with these items to be passed out at conventions and book signings. In the end, I’m not certain how useful these giveaways are—and they’re expensive. I do think it’s important to have something to pass out after talks (like bookmarks), and if you have a mailing list, sending postcards to good customers is probably productive.

Do you feel that the Internet has opened doors for authors who never dreamed they’d ever see a publishing contract and how has it influenced you in regards to your own publishing journey?

The publishing business is great flux right now and of course the Internet is part of it. I don’t know the future of e-publishing. But I do feel strongly that would-be authors should look very carefully into the pros and cons of different publishing options. Some self-published authors produce wonderful books and have great success selling them. Many, many others are disappointed at the hurdles they discover too late—difficulty obtaining reviews and distribution, to name two that are hard even with a traditional publisher.

In my own experience, the Internet has made the possibilities for promotion much wider than they would have been otherwise. Communication is so easy this way! The networking opportunities and information on publishing are mind-boggling. On the famous other hand, web-surfing and email can be an enormous time sink! I have to remind myself that writing the best book I can is the most important.

If you were in the middle of Manhattan (or any busy thoroughfare) and you wanted to call attention to your book, what would you do and what would you say?

I wouldn’t approach promotion this way! I think it’s so important to focus your resources on a reasonable target audience. For my first series, which featured a young woman golfer, I tried to reach golfers, especially women. Eventually, I was featured in an article in Sports Illustrated and another in Golf for Women—wonderful publicity and so much fun! The new series I hope will have a broader appeal, so I’m writing to book clubs, advice columnists, and sites for women readers, telling them about this series featuring a spunky psychologist who specializes in advice for the lovelorn, while sorting out her own “issues” and getting drawn into mysteries along the way.

If you could trade places with any author just for a day, who would it be and why?

I might like to try walking in Jodi Picoult’s shoes for a day. I find her books thoughtful and well-written. Besides that, she’s an enormous commercial success!

Lastly, how do you determine your book’s success?

Tough question. Of course I look at the numbers and hope they are huge—at least big enough to give me momentum into the next books and contracts. And I’m thrilled about the award nominations I’ve received—Agatha, Anthony and Macavity. And I’m always happy to get a positive review. But most important to me are the letters I get from readers, saying I’ve touched their lives in some small way.

Thank you for coming, Roberta! Can you tell us where everyone can pick up a copy of PREACHING TO THE CORPSE?

My books can be found at your favorite independent bookseller, independent mystery bookseller, or online. They are also available at Borders and Barnes & Noble. You may call R.J. Julia Booksellers in Madison, CT. for signed copies: 203-245-3959.

(If you would like to purchase a copy of Robert’s book, PREACHING TO THE CORPSE, at Amazon, click here!)


Tags: , author interview, online book promotion, , ,

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

You sound like you have a very level-headed approach to book promotion, Roberta. And your book sounds great. Nancy Drew, well that sure brings back some memories. Between the books and the TV shows I was a mystery solving maven in my youth. As an adult, I enjoyed Margaret Truman, but have for the past 15 years focused more on non-fiction.

That's been one of the best things about being involved in virtual book tours--I've rediscovered my love for novels.

Best of luck with your tour.

Cheryl

thewriterslife said...

I have lots of questions. As I was putting the interview up, I thought of lots and lots of things to ask you, Roberta, but let's start off with this one first. Where did you get your bookmarks and postcards made?

Lucy Burdette aka Roberta Isleib said...

I had them made at Postcardpress.com. But i did hire a designer to lay them out and upload them to the templates on the website. that's not my strong point!

Dani said...

Great advice and interview responses. Love the blog, too! Can you believe what a fabulous promotion tool blogs have become? Hard to believe every writer doesn't have one yet.

Dani
http://blogbooktours.blogspot.com