Monday, February 26, 2007

Pump UP Your Blog to Sell Your Books Workshop II Follow-Up - Learning How to Use Key Search Words

Yesterday, we were talking about key search words and how to use them effectively to pump up your author/book blog in your online book promotion campaign. I had a few comments with questions from those who would like to learn more which I'd like to share with you so you can learn from them, too.

One of the comments was from Sis Zabrina, who was looking for the reasons why her blog wasn't showing up on the first page of the search engines with her certain set of key search words and phrases.

Her blog is titled "Power of Words" and can be found at http://www.wisdomthruwords.blogspot.com/. Her search words that she gave me were: motivational stories, inspiring stories, inspirational stories, quotes.

Before I even began to evaluate her blog for SEO (search engine optimization), I took her key set of search words and tried to find them on the blog, which I couldn't. Perhaps they were on a post somewhere, but nowhere did I see these exact words, so right away, I know that Sis has to change a few things in order to use those certain search words. It doesn't surprise me that her blog doesn't show up because the spiders can't find them. She has a choice: incorporate those search words into her blog by directly applying them, and continuously, or change them altogether.

The next thing I did was take her url and put it into Google to see just where she was showing up.

Oopsie, one link and it was hers. If this was a new blog and she hadn't really gotten off the ground yet, I could understand it. But, the blog has been up since August 2006.

If Sis wants anyone to know about her book, she's got to make some changes, but what I would suggest to her, unless her book mainly deals with the posts she has up on her blog now, would be to start a completely new blog, and talk up her book, or about her life as the author of the book.

My first impression of Sis' blog was that it was a plethora of newsclips and her personal impressions and observations living in her native country, and nothing that I could find mentioned anything about her book. That said, her words were beautifully written. Her love for Allah is apparent as this is mentioned quite frequently, but not to the point where it would turn people who didn't have the same religious beliefs completely off.

But, the search engines don't care. All they care about is finding those key search words and if they're not there, they go somewhere else to find them.

From a promoting standpoint of an author, unless she had lots of visitors, I would suggest to her to start a new blog devoted entirely to her book and the life of an author. From a promoting standpoint as far as the present blog goes, what she has to watch is how she posts. For her blog to come in at only one link and this was her own, I can tell you right now that this blog needs a lot of pumping up which Sis will learn as we continue with this workshop.

Sis, my advice would be to either a) start another blog devoted to your book and life as an author, or b) develop better search words and use them very frequently on your present blog so the search engines will find you.

Hope this helps!

Tags: , , , ,

4 comments:

Sandra Alvarado said...

Doroty,
I just found your blog via another. And I have to tell you, you're an answered prayer! I'm new to the blog world and have been researching for ways to do this right. It's been difficult to say the least. My blog is not coming up on Google in spite of the fact that I've registered it several times :-( I've followed the "Blogger" instructions but don't know what and if I'm doing something wrong.
I'd love if you'd stop by sometime.

Best,
Sandra
www.financialfreedomat40.blogspot.com

Sis Zabrina said...

Hi Dorothy,

Its 6.30am at where i am and the first page i surf/read today is your blog! Talking about eagerness and anticipation. *wink*

Truly you are my Guru in blog-promo!*hugs* Every comment you gave me was true, true and true. I shall go back to all my old posts and put the key words somewhere within the title, the text or the signature! Thats my first step.

I shall do that now and report to you immediately with the outcome.

And of course, i shall be reading all your other posts for further improvements. I can assure you that i have got questions, and they are in loads! Lol.

Sis Zabrina

theauthormike said...

Aunt Dottie, I made the coffee, you can bring the donuts and we can go over this stuff until I get it thru my thick skull.
Love ya,
Mikey

Rachel Newstead said...

Dorothy,

This is the most frustrating thing I've dealt with ever since I set up my blog. I'm new to blogging and services like Technorati--I signed up for that, but don't know if I did everything correctly. I still haven't quite figured out how to add tags to my blog. There's a place in blogger to type *labels* for each post, but that's something different altogether.

I could really use your help--the whole process is really confusing. And I had difficulty understanding the instructions you gave in another entry.