So, she says, she decided to make one to find out.
Of course, I'm a big fan of book trailers and since she's one of my daily readers and knows how much I love them, she knew I would be enticed to go look at the very mention of a new book trailer. Smart girl, Diana!
So, I did.
I could not stop laughing. Now THIS is what I'm talking about. Go to YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z32GAedt2lw to watch it, if you'd like, but come back because I have a surprise interview you wouldn't want to miss.
We were talking about websites being different and how they are drawing spectators (hence, possible future book buyers)...why not do the same with book trailers? Being different makes a big difference nowadays, doesn't it?
And, I'm thinking, this is all part of the NEW AGE OF PROMOTION.
We've got to learn how to stand out from the pack.
After watching Diana's book trailer, I had to email her and ask her if she would agree to an interview because I had some really interesting questions for her. She agreed, so for your enjoyment, here is the interview:
Dorothy: Diana, this has got to be the coolest trailer I've ever seen. I love your sense of humor! How did you come up with this idea?
Diana: I'm so glad you like it. The idea came from on one of my 4,312 yahoo groups. A famous author was chiding us to always be professional. I thought, hell no. I'm a writer. If I wanted to be professional, I would've been a banker. So I figured, why not be so unprofessional that it's funny? I wanted people to see what this writer was really like, messy hair, cheesecake for breakfast, little white lies, and all. That's what I think readers are interested in. That's what I'm interested in. I'm not interested in people being "professional." Professionals bore me. I also did a "slick" trailer that has jazzy music and quick cuts and the actual content of the book. But even though it's sexy, it's the same as everyone else's. I like different. In my books, and my trailers.
Dorothy: Did this really happen? I mean, did you actually tell your husband you'd put him on the cover?
Diana: He's got a great sense of humor. Better than my ten year old who said, "Mom, never, ever show me that again."
Dorothy: What does your husband think of having an author in the family?
Diana: My husband is a much bigger author. You must have missed "Making War, Forging Revolution; Russia's Continuum of Crisis, 1914-1921"? Harlequin Blaze wanted it, but Harvard Press outbid them.
Dorothy: Are you this funny all the time?
Diana: Only when I'm drunk. And I hope, when I write. In person, I don't speak. People are terribly disappointed when they meet me.
Dorothy: What prompted you to make a book trailer for your book?
Diana: You. Really. I'm a serious Dorothy disciple. Also, I've learned early on that it's best if I promote my books without leaving the house because I'm insanely shy. Book trailers were a natural way to connect with readers without actually having to talk to them, blush, stutter, get dizzy, and have to go and lie down. In fact, Sexiest Man Alive is dedicated to "everyone who has ever blushed, stuttered, or had their nose twitch like a rabbit's." My personality is good for on-line promotion. I had to run with it.
Dorothy: What has been other people's reactions when they see it?
Diana: Well, my mom loves it : ) I get a lot of people telling me they can't hear it. Sorry. I didn't have a proper mike and I just taught myself how to use iMovie that morning. I thought about going back and cleaning it up now that I'm better on the software, but I like it the way it is---you have to watch it more than once to get it all. Some people think it's hysterical. Others scratch their heads and turn away. Story of my life. I'd rather thrill some people and repulse others than have everyone think I'm just "okay."
Dorothy: Thank you for coming, Diana, and happy promoting to you!
Diana: Thanks for having me, Dorothy. I can't tell you how much I love your blog. It's taught me everything I know about web promoting. I read it religiously. You're my hero. I feel really honored to be here.
Now, that's a woman you gotta love.
Tags: How to Pump UP Your Blog to Sell More Books, online book promotion, author publicity, book promotion, book promotion tips, book trailer, Diana Holquist, Sexiest Man Alive
Tags: How to Pump UP Your Blog to Sell More Books, online book promotion, author publicity, book promotion, book promotion tips, book trailer, Diana Holquist, Sexiest Man Alive
7 comments:
ROFL--awesome interview, and seriously hilarious book trailer. Totally cute--I loved it!
It's funny, and it certainly creates an awareness of Diana and the book, but I wouldn't buy the book on the strength of this trailer, because it, um...tells me nothing about the book.... I don't think the purpose of the trailer is to sell the book, but it certainly sells her name, and that's a big part of the whole deal too :)
Jane
Hi Jane. Diana here...
Your comment is interesting because it brings up a really good point: am I selling a book or selling myself?
Honestly, I don't know the answer to that question. I suppose it's a bit of both.
Here's how I feel when I watch most book trailers: "God, that is so boring. If the two-minute trailer is this boring, how will the author get me through a 400-page book?" My hope is that people see this and:
1) remember it because it's different
2) laugh and say, hey, if her book trailer is that funny, imagine what the book is like
I don't know if it'll work or not. I'll let you know when the sales figures come in...
Thanks for the comment. Keep 'em coming!
--Diana
Hello Diana, I suspect you're right - it's a bit of both. Add I agree totally, I've seen so many book trailers that are dull - actually, I haven't seen them cos I've switched off after the first four seconds...lol...so I guess I'd do the same with the books...something for authors to bear in mind, I guess, if the trailer doesn't grab the viewer right away, then you've lost a potential sale. I do really like your trailer, and it does give a great insight to YOU and your homour, so yes, that gives me a pretty good idea of the tone of the book itself....and you have another trailer that address that in particular, I know. Which I have to add, is one of the classiest trailers I've seen - great music, great visuals, short and to the point. It's part of a whole marketing package, I guess, and I like how you've used different ways of getting the name of the book out there. That's the key, to do something different - and you HAVE! :)) Jane
Thanks, Jane.
I'm so glad you think so. You know, you just put stuff out there and hope it sticks. I'm glad you like the "normal" version, too. It's more traditional, but some people like that. I think it's fun and fast--that was my goal.
I just put up my newest trailer this weekend: Why the Sexiest Man Alive Has No Head. You can see it at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWbmwUwlawQ
Have a great week, everyone.
--Diana
Make Me a Match, in stores now
Sexiest Man Alive, coming Oct 07
http://www.dianaholquist.com
Hi all,
Diana, that was a really good book trailer. I loved the simplicity of the idea that actually delivered the message.
I have been toying with a book trailer idea for more than a month, but, still fail to come up with a good storyline that is good enough to make it stands out and at the same time delivers the gist of my book in a unique way.
You gave me hope! Lol
Any tips?
Sis Zabrina
Hi Sis.
Diana here (even if my blogger name says Amy Burns...)
You're not the only one who's been asking me for tips. I've been getting loads of e-mails from folks asking for tips. I think I may just have a chat with my friend Dorothy about how we can put some tips together...because I do have a bunch. I worked in advertising in NYC for a long time for products like Pepsi and BMW and there are some basic groundrules for how to sell in this medium. Maybe we could do some sort of workshop...hmm...
Keep in touch; I'm thinking about the best way to do this.
--Diana
Make Me a Match, in stores now
Sexiest Man Alive, coming Oct 07
http://www.dianaholquist.com
Post a Comment