Thursday, April 19, 2007

What's Wrong With This Website?

Saturday before last, we played a game called "What's Wrong With This Website?" The website in question was a gimmicky attempt at promoting a new book, but regardless of whether it was gimmicky or not, the website has created quite a buzz. Today's ranking at Amazon? 880.

The author's name is Miranda July and the website for her book, No One Belongs Here More Than You, can be found here.

There are mixed reactions around the blogosphere as to whether this website is brilliant or whether it's committing SEO suicide.

Maud Newton calls it a "wonderful online performance."

M.J. Rose calls it "brilliant creative with no name recognition."

Of those willing to partake of my little game, here are their responses:

Jeni said, "I was bored waiting through each appliance she wrote on, which actually told me nothing about the book, about the author, price, availability, etc."

Jamieson said, "I even visited her other web site and it's as annoyingly vague as the fridge one is."

Vicki M. Taylor said, "It's all flash, no substance."

Manic Mom said, "No times for when she's doing her book tour?"

Gloria Oliver said, "I would say the problem is that for each page, she does not identify herself."

Linda Rucker said, "For me, if I have to bounce all over the web to get the author's bio and pic and info about the tour then I'm bored."

Kathy Holmes said, "While it's rather creative, I got bored paging through and finally just stopped."

Rhonda Stapleton said, "It's all images and no searchable text--how in the world can google help rank it, since it can't search for any terms?"

Kristin said, "You can still be cute, original, and artistic without all the separate pages and loading times. Blech."

Spyscribbler said, "I read the whole thing, but I probably wouldn't read it again."

The Gospel Writer said, "She doesn't have an email sign up for her visitors, readers and fans!!!"

Oopsie Daisy said, "As a former web designer and Marketing director I have to say she is doing everything wrong."

And finally...

John Kremer said, "The key thing missing on her website is any sort of searchable text for ratings on Google, BUT her website has been mentioned a lot. I bet she has had more website visitors that 99% of websites that are searchable by Google, almost all of those visitors sent by bloggers who found the site fun and interesting."

When I originally saw Miranda's website and when I initially started this little game of SEO, I was aghast to be perfectly frank. Everyone's comments were on the mark.

Miranda starts off with a splash page to open her website; in fact, they are all splash pages. Will Google or any of the other search engines find her? Let's do a search for her website now.

As you can see, she has 155,000 links for her book. Her website is third ON THE FIRST PAGE.

In all the years I have been studying SEO (search engine optimization), I am scratching my head. You can put up a website with absolutely no search words that the search engines can pick up because the words are embedded in the graphics; yet not only is she on the third page of search, her rankings at Amazon make my books look really pitiful.

So, how did this happen? You mean adding search words and optimizing our websites and blogs are all in vain?

This is where word of mouth becomes your most powerful weapon. I would not have designed my website or blog in the way she has; but for some odd reason, she has been able to capture everyone's attention by having everyone talk about it.

So, does quirky sell? In Miranda's case, it's working in her favor. Whether another year down the road when her book loses a little steam, will her website pull her through? Highly unlikely. For now, she's comfortable. She has everyone talking about her book on various blogs, but my suggestion to her would be to go back in and add words on top of the graphics for the future.

So, what did we learn here?

Word of mouth is a powerful tool.

A lot of authors (myself included) wonder...how do we get people talking about our books? If you pay close attention, no one is even talking about Miranda's book. They're talking about her website. Look at the cover. Nothing about it strikes you as being something that would stand out...it's quite plain, but it ties into Miranda's whole scheme of things.

All it takes is that one person who finds your website and thinks it's the neatest thing since chopped liver. Miranda's website is different. I've seen lots of author websites and blogs and I have to admit, it is different from the rest. Different sells?

In Miranda's case, it does.

The only drawback is...will her book live up to everyone's expectations?

It's all part of the game. The game of successful book promotion. While Miranda's website is definitely not pumped up, it's drawing people's attention and they're all talking about it.

I don't know about you guys, but I've come to the conclusion that word of mouth is what is going to sell those books. Be different. Be quirky. But, please, remember that no matter how quirky or different it is, I would still recommend adding those vital elements that are necessary for successful book promotion. Don't take that chance.

Meanwhile, never underestimate the power of word of mouth.

Tags: , , , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this was a great lesson. Word of mouth REALLY can drive popularity up, can't it?

Now to figure out HOW to make said "word of mouth" work...ROFL

GeminiWisdom said...

OT---I still have a question about tags. You have both tags and labels in your posts. What's the difference? Can people still find your blogs through a search based on the words you put in the labels?

Also, I tried following your directions for Technorati and I got confused about posting. So, you wrote a post and now you want to put those tags in your post. Do you have to log in to your Technorati acct? Where do you get the code that matches what you posted about?

Diana Holquist said...

Hi Dorothy.

Speaking of being different....

I've been pondering the worth of book trailers and decided to put one together that is, er, well...different.

So, is it good? Does it sell books?

No idea. But it sure was fun...

I'll let you know later how it works out.

You can check it out on my website at http://www.dianaholquist.com.

As always, love your words of wisdom,

--Diana