Saturday, February 14, 2009

Interview with Life Coach Sheri Kaye Hoff

Sheri Kaye Hoff is a Life Coach and owner of the Sheri K Hoff International Coaching Company. She also teaches college classes as an adjunct faculty member and has earned her Master of Arts in Organizational Management. Her new book, Keys to Living Joyfully, offers a way of living a meaningful, successful and joy filled life.

You can visit her website at www.lifeisjoyful.org.

Welcome to Pump Up Your Online Book Promotion, Sheri. Can we begin by having you tell us what Keys to Living Joyfully is about and why you wrote it?

Keys to Living Joyfully is about living a meaningful life with peace, passion, energy, and joy. The book focuses on the importance of one’s thought life, spirituality, and being motivated through inspiration. I wrote this book because I experienced the tragic death of my brother when he was 15 and I was 17. For many of my adult years, I was impacted by this devastating event. I truly felt that I did not deserve joy and that I would never find true joy again. I alternated between feeling numb and slightly depressed. For the most part, my outward demeanor was enthusiastic, and I am sure others would describe me as happy and successful. When I realized that I did have the capacity for joy and how to create it-I felt a deep desire to share this with others. I have spent years of my life studying leadership literature and I teach at a college-so I effectively combined my spiritual life with great personal leadership skills in my book.

Keys to Living Joyfully is a spiritual book. Why did you choose this genre to write? Did you choose it or did it choose you?

This genre chose me. I always thought that I would be the next Margaret Mitchell writing a great historical novel or I pictured myself writing leadership books (which are still plans that I have). However, my book seemed to write itself. Every time I sat down to write-the words just flowed into the computer-and I had very little rewriting or changing the organization of the book. I did not have one single blocked moment. I feel that this book was meant to be.
In regards to promotion, what have you been doing to promote your book online?

I have my website www.lifeisjoyful.org and I use Facebook, Twitter, AuthorsDen, and squidoo.

Of all the promotional items (bookmarks, press kits, etc…) you have used to promote your book, which one was used most effectively?

The most effective promotion has been promoting my blog on Twitter.


Do you feel that the Internet has opened doors for authors who never dreamed they’d ever see a publishing contract and how has it influenced you in regards to your own publishing journey?

Without the internet, I would not have attempted to self-publish through Createspace. It would be too hard to create buzz and reach markets. Almost all of my promoting is on the internet-though I do have some speaking engagements.

If you were in the middle of Manhattan (or any busy thoroughfare) and you wanted to call attention to your book, what would you do and what would you say?

I think I would take 100 copies of my book and hand them out to people asking them if they wanted more peace, passion, energy, and joy in their lives every moment of every day.

If you could trade places with any author just for a day, who would it be and why?

I would like to trade places with Stephen Covey. I read his 7 habits book when I was on bedrest for 11 weeks when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter. When he wrote about prisoners (Anwar Sadat and Viktor Frankl) who were able to feel more free while they were in prison (because their minds were free), I realized that though I could only stand up for three minutes of every hour-my mind was free. It was an exhilarating realization at a time when I could have felt sorry for myself. I think Stephen Covey’s life work is an amazing contribution to our body of knowledge regarding personal leadership skills.

Lastly, how do you determine your book’s success?

My book is already a success. I know this because people have begun sending me their life stories (often very tragic) and they tell me that this book touched their hearts. Yes, I want to be a best selling author-but my book is here on this earth for a reason-to touch hearts and help people to move forward and grow.

Thank you for this interview, Sheri. Can you tell us where everyone can pick up a copy of Keys to Living Joyfully?

Keys to Living Joyfully is available on Amazon.

Editor's Note: Sheri Kaye Hoff will be traveling the blogosphere throughout March and April to talk about her new book, Keys to Living Joyfully. If you would like to interview her, have her guest blog or review her book for her virtual book tour, email Dorothy Thompson at thewriterslife(at)yahoo.com. If you would like to find out more about Sheri, visit her official tour page here.

No comments: