Friday, March 30, 2007

A Surprising Discovery in Blog Promotion: Make Those Titles, Tags and Seach Words Count!

I made an interesting discovery last night that even astounded me, someone who thinks they know EVERYTHING there is about blog promotion (*hint* I'm still learning with the rest of you), which I'd like to share with my readers.

Last night, I blogged about American Idol on my Over the Hill Boomer Chick blog. I didn't intentionally do it to get hits, but my hits increased...are you sitting down...500%. Not only did my hits increase to that amount in a period of two hours, my sales rankings for Romancing the Soul decreased at Amazon, and I sold a $20 ebook. All within two hours. Amazing how fast that works.

What I did was take something that an incredible amount of people were talking about and blog about it. In this case, it was American Idol, but, like I said, I didn't intentionally do it for the hits. I love American Idol. I know not everyone does, but I'm rooting for the underdog who can't sing, Sanjaya Malakar. My blog tells you why, but let me tell you how else it happened.

It's those tags, people. When I went to my sitemeter (and it was weird because I never check on my stats over there because it's a catch-all blog...if people read it, fine, if they don't fine), every single one of my hits in the last two hours came from Technorati. The first thought that came to me was that someone was playing around, but I went to the field where I could see where they were coming from and it was from people all over the world. I had people viewing my blog that had never even been there before. Granted, it's an over the hill boomer chick blog and probably most of them were Sanjaya fans and would never come back, but you just never know. I'm sure I'm not the only boomer chick who loves American Idol.

Anyway, I was sure to include those relevant tags at the bottom of my post and placed them as key search words throughout the body of my post. To this day, it's still at #1 in Technorati, but I'm sure it won't stay there because the way Technorati works, they list the most recent blogs that have tagged that particular search word (the key thing to remember here is to blog about these things that are getting you lots of hits and do this every day until the steam runs out).

I remember about a year ago, I used "sex" in my subject line just for an experiment. This was when I didn't even know about adding tags myself. I received lots of hits for that one because it seems that there are an awful lot of people looking for sex. But can you imagine what would have happened if I did add tags? I shudder to think on that one, lol.

It's fun really. Play around with tags. Think of what everyone in the world in talking about and blog about it. If you a success story using tags, leave a comment or email me at thewriterslife@yahoo.com and I'll use your story in an upcoming blog post.

Keep pumping up that book promotion!


Tags: , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Diana Holquist said...

Hi Dorothy.

You like Sanjaya?!?

Oh, sorry. Off the point.

What I meant to write about was how at my GypsyPsychic blog, my character keeps blogging about The Riches, a new FX show about traveller/gypsies. She's been blogging specifically about the word "buffer"--what the travellers on the show call non-gypsies. She gets SO many hits from people who Google "buffer + traveller" or similar combinations. I figure if they're interested in what interests me, er, I mean, what interests my character, then maybe they'll be interested in the book.

It's fun to see what interests people. I have NO idea if it has an impact on sales. My hope is that people see my book cover and will remember it with good feelings when they go to the store...

Have a great weekend and good Passover to all who celebrate next week.

--Diana
http://www.gypsypsychic.blogspot.com
http://www.dianaholquist.com
Make Me a Match, in stores now!

thewriterslife said...

Leave my hunka hunka burning love alone...lol.

Wow...a success story! Thanks!

Wanza Leftwich, The Gospel Writer said...

ahhh...he so can NOT sing! lolololol - great post Dorothy. Keep them coming.

DiamondVVV1 said...

This is a very interesting read as I am new to blogging but understand the importance of the almighty "tag"! Wonderful site!