We have another special guest here with us today at Pump Up Your Online Book Promotion!Lynn Voedisch, author of Excited Light joins us today and talks about her writing life and what she does to promote her book online.
PUYOBP: Thank you for coming to Pump Up Your Online Book Promotion, Lynn! Can you tell us what your book is about?
Lynn: It's story about a 10-year-old boy, growing up with a single, alcoholic mother, who confides his sorrows to his toy duck, Dudley. One night Dudley answers him, and he starts receiving comforting words that seem angelic--and maybe they are. She tries to be a good mother, but the disease is too strong for her. He uses his knowledge to help his mother when she becomes involved in a reckless romance that brings her to the point of death.
PUYOBP: Interesting that you mention alcoholism as I'm about to write a memoir which will center around alcoholism within my own family. I wish I had had my own Dudley duck back then! Who are you published with and how have your experiences with them been so far?
Lynn: It's published by ASJA Press, which is an imprint of iUniverse. It seems like a small distinction, but the American Society of Journalists and Authors is a difficult organization for which to qualify, so anything published by ASJA Press is going to feature seasoned writers.
PUYOBP: Interesting. I wasn't aware that ASJA was an imprint of iUniverse. See? I've learned something new already! Can you tell us ways you have been promoting online?
Lynn: When the book first came out, I e-mailed just about everyone I ever knew in my life and told them to buy the book on January 4. I ended up with an Amazon number of 515 that day. Of course, I've never come close to that number again, but it was a heady experience. I've also been flogging the book endlessly in my blog, www.xanga.com/bastetmax. And I take part in Internet discussion groups, always putting a little signature line at the end, that mentions my book and where to buy it. I have a mailing list called WithWings (write me if you'd like an invitation). I'm truly amazed that about 50 percent of the time when you ask someone if you can be a guest on their blog or Internet radio show, they will say yes. So, I have some nice opportunities coming up this summer.
PUYOBP: Oh, I love it when an author takes their campaign in their own hands. I was surprised myself when I emailed a radio show and they responded positively, which only proves that if you are determined and have the time to do all the work yourself, you can do this without any outside help. Very encouraging to my readers, Lynn. Tell me, I know this blog focuses on online promotion, but what have you been doing offline to promote your book?
Lynn: I bought an ad in a New Age publication and I can tell you right now that it was an expensive flop. Ads don't work. I do have lots of friends in journalism and I've been twisting arms and cajoling favors. So far, not much has worked there, except that I might have a shot at a radio spot on our local National Public Radio station. I'm also going to do a book signing at an angel museum in Wisconsin, and that ought to be fun.
PUYOBP: I know what you're saying about ads. I have found a better way which I talk about from time to time and that is to get an article printed in their magazine instead. Free promo and sometimes they actually pay you for it. So, instead of you paying them, they pay you, and you get promo for your book out of it, too. Way less expensive. On to the next subject, I noticed in your bio that you wrote for the Chicago Sun-Times. How did you fall into that job?
Lynn: I answered an ad. No kidding. Let's back up: I had an English degree from Grinnell College, where I was the editor of the school newspaper, so I had experience. I had just moved back to Chicago from Los Angeles, where I had done some vacation fill-in work for the Los Angeles Times. The suburban edition of the Chicago Sun-Times needed an entertainment writer and I applied. From there I went downtown and had a great career interviewing everyone from Nick Nolte to Mikhail Baryshnikov. I spent seventeen years there.
PUYOBP: Interesting. You really lucked into that because there are writers who spend years trying to get a paying gig at newspapers. What would you say to these people who want to pursue that field?
Lynn: Get published early. Start in high school and college. Collect those bylines, because that's what's going to get you a job. A master's degree in journalism is of no more use than doing stringer work for a local newspaper. Once you are out of school, I don't recommend working for free. It tears down the pay scale for all of us. Get a job at a local newspaper and work your way up.
PUYOBP: I understand you also appeared on television. Can you tell us about that?
Lynn: I did a couple appearances on "Chicago Tonight" on our public television station discussing arts-related events in Chicago. For some reason, I didn't feel nervous at all. I feel the same way about radio. Maybe it's because I interviewed all those celebrities for so many years.
PUYOBP: LOL, you have more guts than I do. I don't mind radio, but appearing on TV sends my heart to palpitating. I guess the more you do it, the easier it comes, though. Tell me, what's next for you, Lynn? Do you have more books in the works?
Lynn: I've actually written two other manuscripts and am working on a third. My agent is trying to sell a manuscript now in New York, but it's incredibly slow. Some days I just want to scream, Dorothy. Fortunately, the manuscript I am working on now--which involves some powerful women of the ancient past--has been fascinating work. The research just keeps me going. I'm hoping that novel has the appeal of "The Red Tent." Women love to read about those of us who essentially were left out of the history books, but were powerful nevertheless.
PUYOBP: I just have to ask. What do you think about virtual book tours?
Lynn: I tried a few amateur tours and I think they work, Dorothy. I know I sold a few books on Amazon. And my blog readers were interested in the guests.
PUYOBP: They sure do work, Lynn. But, the most wonderful thing about these tours is that they are perpetual. They never go away because as long as the blog host keeps your interview up, the search engines find you for years to come. I tell all my clients that even though you may or may not sell a lot of books at the time, as long as your interview is archived, it may pay off later on down the road. I do have to mention that I've been watching your Amazon rankings and I don't know if the tours had anything to do with it, but it looks to me that your books have been moving. I, for one, have been very impressed.
Well, I guess that's all the time we have. I thank you for stopping by, Lynn, and I hope you have continued success with our book tour and please keep in touch and let us know how it's going. You're one I will be watching. ;o)
Lynn: Thanks a lot for having me here.
There you have it. I see bright things ahead for Lynn! You can visit Lynn's website at www.lynnvoedisch.com. Lynn's tour is brought to you by my company, Pump Up Your Book Promotion Virtual Book Tours. If you would like to learn more, you can visit the website at http://www.pumpupyourbookpromotion.com/.
Tags: How to Pump UP Your Book Promotion, online book promotion, author publicity, book promotion, book promotion tips, virtual book tour, author interviews, guest blogger, Lynn Voedisch
No comments:
Post a Comment