Thursday, March 1, 2007

How to PUMP UP Your Blog to Sell More Books Workshop - Pt. III - Starting from Ground Zero

Good morning everyone! Are we all ready to pump up our blogs to sell more books? Great!

To recap, what we have done so far is taken our blogs and realized how important those search words we include in them are for our readers (and buyers!) to find us. We want those search words in the title of as many blog posts as we can, and we need them sprinkled in as many blog posts as we can, without being obtrusive.

One very, very important thing that I might not have mentioned at this point is that if you are already published, or you're about to be published and have received your book cover graphic, PUT THE COVER ON YOUR BLOG. And I don't just mean in a blog post. That cover has to be in the sidebar where everyone can see it as soon as they open your blog up. Your blog is basically going to be the selling page for your book. Or, one of them, anyway.

One of my new clients has just started a blog, which I highly recommended her to do to create pre-buzz for a new book she will be having come out in the upcoming months. It's never too early to start creating that platform, and what she will be doing until then is developing it by blogging about the subject of her book.

What I will be doing is using her blog as an example of how easy it is to pump up a new blog to the point where she will be receiving lots of visitors if we play our cards right.

We will learn how to add features such as email newsletters, labels, tags, widgets, images, tracking devices, visual aids, all sorts of fun things that will help get visitors to our blogs.

So, let's begin by using Marilyn Celeste Morris' new blog, Once a Brat, in learning how to take a fresh blog and turn it into a powerful online promotional vehicle. Marilyn's blog is what I call unpumped down to the bare bone. What we're starting with is a fresh slate, but a good beginning as it is a blog with great potential because she is going to use it as as promotional vehicle to sell one of her previous books, Once a Brat, and to create pre-buzz for her next book, Camp Sobingo, that is closely related in theme and genre.

Go over there and view the blog before we turn it into a pumped up promotional machine. After we are finished with this part of pumping up our blog to sell more books, I'll send you to Marilyn's blog to see how well she has progressed since we first started this session.
After we are finished discussing the different ways you can pump up your book/author blog, we'll begin to understand the different ways we can PROMOTE it, so stay tuned!
If you have any questions at this point, leave them in the comment box below and I'll get to them as they come in. I still have a few questions I haven't answered, but they will be answered in the next few posts. Meanwhile, pump up that blog by adding fresh content and using your key seach words frequently!
Tomorrow's Lesson: How to Pump Up Your Blog by tracking your visitors!

Tags: , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have my cover posted on the sidebar of my blog, but do you think it's important to highlight it in a post also? Thanks, Dorothy.