Thursday, March 1, 2007

How to PUMP UP Your Blog to Sell More Books Workshop - Pt. III - Starting from Ground Zero - Question about Book Covers

I thought a new blog post was needed instead of answering Kathy Holmes' question in the comment section, so here it is. Kathy asks, "I have my cover posted on the sidebar of my blog, but do you think it's important to highlight it in a post also?"

Great question, Kathy!

As for the graphic itself, it's fine just the way it is, and doesn't need to be highlighted in a post unless you come up with a new angle (about your book such as a review or book tour or anthing like that) and want to use the cover to go with the blog post. BTW, I love how you posted a link underneath the cover to lead visitors to an excerpt. Great promotional tactic!

If you mean blog about the book, yes, most definitely, keeping in mind to actually mention the book's title as often as you can so that the search engines will pick up on it. Actually, as you know, I visit your blog frequently, and I do know you use key search words throughout your blog. I'm curious, since you do have a site meter, what kind of hits are you getting using these words? Is it paying off? Do you find that most of your hits are from the search engines when people put in these certain search words or do you find a mixture of key search words and other words that you might not have thought would bring people to your blog?

Tags: , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks, Dorothy. I do get get a lot of hits from people searching on "over 40," "women over 40," and "womens fiction." And if I use a celebrity's name in a post, I get an increase in hits. Or if I use a provocative word, such as "topless," (having a topless scene in "Real Women Wear Red"), I get hits. The next most popular way I get traffic is whenever I'm highlighted on another blog - such as yours - or from ezine articles. I'm thinking of adding the title of my book as one of my post categories, as you have here.

sydney molare said...

It truly sounds like the old adage, "Sex sell" at work! LOL. Put in sex, sexy or something dealing with sex and you guys seem to see an increase in hits. I'll keep it in mind.