We have a very special guest today at Pump Up Your Online Book Promotion! Welcome Caridad Pineiro, author of women's fiction with smarts and spice, SOUTH BEACH CHICAS CATCH THEIR MAN (Downtown Press, September 2007). Caridad is here with us today to tell us show she pumps up her own online book promotion!This is also the last week of Caridad's virtual book tour so if you want to win a copy of SOUTH BEACH CHICAS CATCH THEIR MAN, leave a comment below because the winner will be announced on Saturday, September 29 at http://www.virtualbooktoursforauthors.blogspot.com/.
And...take it away...Caridad!
Welcome to Pump Up Your Online Book Promotion, Caridad! Can we begin by having you tell us what your book, SOUTH BEACH CHICAS CATCH THEIR MAN, is about and why you wrote it?
SOUTH BEACH CHICAS CATCH THEIR MAN is a follow-up to SEX AND THE SOUTH BEACH CHICAS. When I was writing the first Chicas book, I absolutely fell in love with Sylvia and her mother, Virginia. They were both strong, empowered women who shared a great relationship, but were pushing away the men in their lives. I wanted to find a way to resolve those commitment issues and SOUTH BEACH CHICAS CATCH THEIR MAN was born.
SOUTH BEACH CHICAS CATCH THEIR MAN is, as you describe women's fiction with smarts and spice. Why did you choose this genre to write? Did you choose it or did it choose you?
I’ve written in a number of genres – contemporary romance, paranormal romance, romantic suspense just to name a few. While SOUTH BEACH CHICAS CATCH THEIR MAN has elements of romance, the story is also very much about female relationships. Because of that, it seemed that writing it as women’s fiction was a more appropriate genre since the relationship story is on a par with the romantic elements in the novel.
In regards to promotion, what have you been doing to promote your book online?
I’m a strong believer in the Internet as a tool for increasing awareness of my work. Because of that, I upgraded my website and feature a lot of different content, from free reads to videos to a blog where I write on almost a daily basis. I like interacting with readers – their one of the main reasons why I write! I also use Myspace, Gather, Shelfari as well as a number of key genre-specific blogs and websites to get the word out about my work. Online press releases are also a very useful way to increase awareness of you as a writer.
Of all the promotional items (bookmarks, press kits, etc…) you have used to promote your book, which one was used most effectively?
It’s tough to pinpoint just one. I think that in a good publicity campaign, all the different types of promotional materials should be used in a cohesive campaign for the greatest impact. So, press releases, promotional mailings, blog tours, etc. should enhance your brand and provide a steady stream of information for the public.
Do you feel that the Internet has opened doors for authors who never dreamed they’d ever see a publishing contract and how has it influenced you in regards to your own publishing journey?
I definitely see more and more authors using non-traditional publishing to achieve their dreams. Many have parlayed success at the e-publication level into more traditional publishing venues. With respect to my own publishing journey, I find that the Internet provides me greater opportunities to meet fans and provide them with extra content for their enjoyment. For example, at the website for my vampire novels, www.thecallingvampirenovels.com, I often provide behind-the-scenes reads, deleted scenes and totally new content that provides new views into the various characters in the series.
If you were in the middle of Manhattan (or any busy thoroughfare) and you wanted to call attention to your book, what would you do and what would you say?
I’ve always wanted to see an ad on the side of a bus or have one of those cars totally wrapped with my covers whizzing by on Fifth Avenue.
If you could trade places with any author just for a day, who would it be and why?
Wow, that’s a tough one. I guess I’d have to pick one of my all time favorites – Nora Roberts. I just love her JD Robb novels and would love to trade places with her and be able to write a chapter with Eve Dallas.
Lastly, how do you determine your book’s success?
You can track a lot of things, like Amazon rankings, etc. The business person in me recognizes that for the publisher the measure of success is seen when the royalty statements come out and you know how what were your sell-through and numbers. The artist in me tracks success by the comments of the people who took the time to write and say they liked the book.
Thank you for coming, Caridad! Can you tell us where everyone can pick up a copy of SOUTH BEACH CHICAS CATCH THEIR MAN?
SOUTH BEACH CHICAS CATCH THEIR MAN can be pre-ordered from any of the online stores right now and will be on shelves during the second week of September. The novel will also be available in e-book format at Simon & Schuster and other e-book vendors.
Tags: author interviews, online book promotion, free book publicity, author interview, public relations, virtual book tour, Caridad Pineiro, chick lit
1 comment:
Caridad, you are doing very well with your promoting I must say. I have been following you on your tour.
Post a Comment